TDEC's Drycleaner Environmental Response Program, also known as DCERP, regulates active drycleaning facilities. DCERP also offers both active and former drycleaners the opportunity to enter the environmental response part which helps owners and operators cleanup their property affected by releases of drycleaning solvent.

Annual registration is required for all operating drycleaners, closed facilities participating in environmental response, and solvent distributors delivering in Tennessee. Each of these groups pay a yearly fee which pays for the program's activities.

The second part of DCERP is the voluntary Environmental Response Activities. Drycleaners may apply for help to cleanup their contaminated property. All drycleaners are required to register to operate a drycleaner in TN, but are not required to enter the response side. In other words, even though you are registered to operate a drycleaner, you may not be registered for assistance with the costs to clean up a contaminated drycleaning site.

If you have any questions, please call 615-741-2281 or email us at Dry.Cleaners@tn.gov

Do I need to register with DCERP?
If you... Then you...
Are opening a new drycleaner and drycleaning has never been done at your location Contact DCERP at 615-741-2281 to receive a registration number. DCERP staff will walk you through the process of filling out your registration form, determining your fee to operate, set up training, and answer any questions you have.

You will also need to check with the Division of Air Pollution Control to determine if you need an air permit.
Are an active drycleaner Must mail the registration form (CN-1063) and fee to operate. You must also follow all Best Management Practices, submit a quarterly solvent log, and complete the training requirement.

You may also be required tohave an air permit from the Division of Air Pollution Control.
Are wet washing clothes Do not need to register if you are not using drycleaning solvents.
No longer operating a drycleaner Send a registration form (CN-1063) and fee only if you wish to have cleanup activity performed. A deductible applies if you choose to cleanup through the DCERP program. 
Want to clean up your property contaminated by drycleaning Send an Application for Entry form (CN-1124) along with your Annual Registration form (CN-1063) and your fee.
Solvent Supplier located in Tennessee You need to send the Solvent Supplier registration form (CN-1062) and pay the Supplier Registration Fee. You may only sell to registered drycleaning facilities.
Solvent Supplier located outside of Tennessee You need to submit a Solvent Supplier registration form  (CN-1062)but no fee is required. You may only sell to registered drycleaning facilities.
Are an Environmental Contractor Send a DCAC Application (CN-1123) and fee if you wish to work on DCERP sites.

Please call us at 615-741-2281or email us at Dry.Cleaners@tn.gov if you have any questions.

Drycleaners have access to the Tennessee Small Business Environmental Assistance Program (SBEAP). SBEAP provides assistance to help Tennessee small businesses understand and comply with environmental regulations. Your discussions with the SBEAP are confidential. You can contact them at 1-800-734-3619 or BGSBEAP@tn.gov.

This Page Last Updated: July 10, 2024 at 2:32 PM