Questions & Answers

Our most frequently asked questions and answers.

Customer Focused Services

What can I do if I am unhappy with my services provider?
First try to resolve issues directly with your provider. Often issues or problems can be resolved at the most direct level.

What can I do if I have made attempts to resolve issues with my service provider, but have been unsuccessful?
If you have made attempts to resolve issues or problems with your provider, but were unsuccessful you can call your local State Regional Complaint Resolution Coordinator and file a complaint.

Should I call the Regional Complaint Resolution Coordinator if I have witnessed abuse or mistreatment?
No. If you have witnessed abuse, neglect or mistreatment or have knowledge of this, you should immediately call the abuse toll free number and file a report. 

DIDD Abuse Hotline for reporting allegations is 888-633-1313

If I am an employee of a provider agency and I am having problems with the agency I work for, should I file a complaint with the State Regional Complaint Resolution Office?
No. The State Complaint Resolution System is designed to assist persons supported, family members, conservators and legal guardians concerning service issues and problems. The State does not intervene in employee to employer issues.

How can I call the Director of Complaint Resolution if I have a question or problem?
The State Director of Complaint Resolution can be reached at 615-231-5499, Monday through Friday from 7:00 a.m. to 3:30 p.m. Please leave a message if unavailable.

How do I file a complaint?
There are several ways to file a complaint with DIDD. You can: Contact your local or regional State Complaint Resolution Coordinator, call the state toll free Complaint Resolution telephone number at 1-800-654-4839, or contact the State Director of Complaint Resolution at 615-231-5499. Please leave a message, including your name and telephone number where you can be reached. Someone will return your call.

If I file a complaint, how long will it take to resolve my issues?
Depending on the issue, if possible, the State will make every attempt to resolve your issue within 30 days. Occasionally an issue may require a longer period for resolution due to the nature and complexity of the issue.

How will I know if my complaint has been resolved?
If you had filed your complaint through the Department of Intellectual and Developmental Disabilities you should receive a written confirmation of resolution through the mail. If you nave filed a complaint through DIDD and have not received a response, contact your local Complaint Resolution office.

If I want to file a complaint, but I do not want anyone to know who or where the complaint came from, what should I do?
Anyone can file a complaint anonymously. Those responding to your issue will not disclose your identity if you request it.

What should I do if I file a complaint and the service provider who I filed a complaint against retaliates against me for filing the complaint?
Contact your local DIDD Complaint Resolution office. This is against the law and will not be tolerated.