E-scrap Business and Institutions – Frequently Asked Questions

What are my options to manage e-scrap?

At the present time a business or institution may either:

  1. Recycle e-scrap
  2. Dispose of e-scrap properly after hazardous waste determinations have been made for the e-scrap materials under consideration.

Example: Cathode Ray Tube (CRTs) in monitors have high concentrations of lead and are considered a hazardous waste. All hazardous waste must be disposed in a hazardous waste facility with proper handling and transport to the facility. All non-hazardous e-scrap may be disposed in a Class I landfill facility after the proper special waste review and approvals have been obtained.

How do I recycle my e-scrap?

Contact an e-scrap recycler and contract for the material to be removed and recovered.

How do I obtain an e-scrap special waste approval?

Tennessee regulations provide the mechanism for disposal of special wastes at 0400-11-01-.01(4). To obtain a special waste approval, the following steps should be followed:

  1. Complete the special waste approval application.
  2. Submit the application fee to the Environmental Field Office where the business or institution is located and the processing fee to the Division of Solid Waste Management’s Central Office.
  3. After approval is granted, take the waste to the designated facility for disposal.

What are the primary challenges with hazardous waste disposal?

There are costs associated with all forms of disposal, and hazardous waste disposal can be expensive. The time, convenience and financial cost difference between e-scrap recycling and hazardous waste disposal is a significant factor for business considerations. Businesses that first seek hazardous waste disposal options for their electronic materials often miss the eCycling potential that could recover and reuse their e-scrap.

This Page Last Updated: January 17, 2023 at 9:28 AM