Landfill Operators Certification Training
2024 Initial Certification: April 23-25, 2024
Registration Deadline: April 5, 2024
Training is $400.00 per person.
2024 Training will be held at
Smyrna Event Center
100 Sam Ridley Parkway
Smyrna, TN 37167
An event link for hotel reservations will be available after October 1st.
On April 24, previously certified Landfill Operators may attend for 8 hours of recertification credit. The cost for the recertification hours will be $199.00 per person. Registration can be completed at the same above link by selecting LOCT 8 hour, in the Registration Type box. Previously certified Landfill Operators may also receive their full 24 hours of recertification credits by attending the full event and are not required to re-take the test
if their certification has not yet expired.
A certified Landfill Operator must be present at a municipal solid waste landfill during all hours of operation. A person interested in obtaining a Landfill Operator certification must take training provided by the Tennessee Department of Environment and Conservation (TDEC) and pass an examination conducted by TDEC. The details regarding the training and certification requirements can be found in TN Rule 0400-11-01-.12. The following is additional information regarding the certification program:
· TDEC's landfill operators’ certification training program (LOCT) consists of three (3) days of classroom instruction (including a field exercise) and a final exam on the third day. Those landfill operators taking the exam must achieve at least a score of 70 (out of 100 points) to be certified. Topics that are covered during the three (3) days include: Tennessee Solid Waste Management Regulations, Landfill Math, Landfill Plans, Landfill Operations, Surveying, Waste Acceptance/Random Inspections, Groundwater Monitoring, Landfill Gas Management, Erosion Control, Liners & Leachate Collection, Closure & Post Closure, and Compliance Inspections & Recordkeeping.
· The certification for Landfill Operators is valid for three years. To be recertified, a Landfill Operator must obtain 24 hours of TDEC approved training during this three-year period.
· There is reciprocity for those Landfill Operators holding SWANA certification.
· Per Rule 0400-11-01-.12(1)(c)8; TDEC will honor other State’s certification programs and similar 3rd party private certifications upon being shown evidence that the course content meets or exceeds Tennessee LOCT criteria.
If you would like to receive updates via email or need to update contact information, or request an invoice for training please contact Rebekah Earl at Rebekah.Earl@tn.gov.
For external hours please submit documentation to Rebekah Poston Earl at Rebekah.Earl@tn.gov.
Continued Training Opportunities for Landfill Operators
Landfill operator certification is valid for 3 years. During those 3 years, certified operators must attend 24 hours of Department approved training and the following are the opportunities for a Certified Landfill Operator to obtain the 24 hours required for recertification:
· Taking the 3-day training prior to their expiration (no retest is required). This is preferred as the Department is scaling back the number of training events and is the most economical for customers.
· Attending the annual 1-day recertification lecture held during the 3-day training.
· The online or in-person 8-hour Landfill Operators Continuing Education workshop for certified landfill operators, the 8-hour Class 1 Landfill workshop, or the 8-hour Class 3 Landfill workshop conducted by the Division of Solid Waste Management. Each course is $199 per person. When the payment is verified your LOCT Course Completion will be updated.
· Tennessee Erosion Prevention and Sediment Control Training and Certification and Re-Certification Program (includes Level I certification and Level II certification training classes). Training course information can be obtained from the following website: www.tnepsc.org. Submit your training certificate to Jerry Branham or Rebekah Poston to receive credit.
· Any course providing a certificate or completion report from SWANA, TWSDA, CTAS, or TRC other relevant training from 3rd parties or environmental conferences may be submitted for consideration.
Online Class Modules
Once both module parts are completed you will receive an invoice for payment. When the payment is verified your LOCT Course Completion will be updated. Each class is $199 per person.
Landfill Operators Continuing Education Class
Class 1 Landfill Class
Class 3 Landfill Class
When you have completed all 24 hours of training required prior to certification expiration, DSWM will send you an invoice for your recertification fee and prompt you to submit the required paperwork.
Recertification packets must include the form, a copy of a valid photo ID, and a copy of your invoice with a check or money order or receipt from an online payment by credit card. If you did not receive an invoice, contact Rebekah Earl at Rebekah.Earl@tn.gov or call 615-552-8002. Completed recertification packets must be mailed:
Attn: Rebekah Earl
TDEC Division of Solid Waste Management
WRS Tennessee Tower
312 Rosa L Parks Ave, 14th Floor
Nashville, TN 37243
This Page Last Updated: August 18, 2023 at 2:31 PM