Ready Mix Concrete

**New (3/19/2024)**

The Division of Air Pollution Control (APC) recently developed and issued a General Permit for Concrete Batch Plants with emissions of less than 10 tons/year. Specifically, this general permit is designed for truck mix plants with uncontrolled loadout of 57,000 cubic yards/year and truck mix plants with controlled loadout (such as a central dust collector or routing emissions to a silo with a dust collector) of 330,000 cubic yards/year. If your facility qualifies, you have a few options:

  1. Apply for a general permit using the Notice of Intent found on the APC General Permits website and surrender your current permit once you receive the new general permit
  2. Wait until your current permit is about to expire and then apply for a general permit moving forward

General permits have a 10 year period and the current one will expire March 11, 2034. All facilities that have a general permit would need to submit a new Notice of Intent prior to expiration and then they would be on a full 10 year cycle. Facilities that apply for coverage under the general permit at a later date would still have the same expiration date, regardless of when they apply for coverage. Currently, a general permit is not available for Ready-Mix Concrete Batch Plants other than those listed above, but rule development is in progress to allow for a general permit for additional sources.

For all other Ready-Mix Concrete Batch Plants that are not yet eligible for a general permit, the Division of Air Pollution Control (APC) rules require air pollution control permits (APC 100 and APC 111) for ready mix concrete producers. Additionally, ready mixed concrete producers are required to have a current storm water permit. A storm water permit requires you to collect and analyze water samples, provide training to your employees and have a Storm Water Pollution Prevention Plan (SWPPP). As well, you should satisfy the permit conditions, including:

Finally, your industry is subject to the Emergency Planning and Community Right to Know Act. You are typically required to complete and submit a Tier II report (for the Tier II Form and Reporting Requirements, click here) to the Tennessee Emergency Management Agency (TEMA), Local Fire Department, and Local Emergency Planning Committee (LEPC). Also in some instances, you may be required to submit a Toxic Release Inventory (TRI) report to the Environmental Protection Agency (EPA).