Healthcare-Associated Infections: Methicillin-resistant Staphylococcus aureus (MRSA)
Infectious agent: Healthcare-Associated Infections: Methicillin-resistant Staphylococcus aureus (MRSA)
Description of illness: Methicillin resistant Staphylococcus aureus (MRSA) infections are caused by bacteria that are resistant to certain types of antibiotics. MRSA can cause skin or wound infections. Sometimes, MRSA can infect the blood and cause serious illness and even death. Research indicates 85% of all serious cases of the infection are associated with health care settings, while the remaining 15% of reported infections are considered community-acquired. MRSA infections are generally spread by skin-to-skin contact or by direct contact with the drainage from an infected wound. Recognizing the signs and receiving treatment for MRSA skin infections in the early stages reduces the chances of the infection becoming severe.
This disease/condition should be reported through the National Healthcare Safety Network (NHSN). In addition, cases among Davidson County residents should be reported through the Emerging Infections Program.