Frequently Asked Questions (FAQs)

Q: What is a polysomnographic technician?
A: A polysomnographic technician is a person who has graduated from an accredited educational program but has not yet passed the national certifying examination given by the Board of Registered Polysomnographic Technologists (“BRPT”) and has obtained a temporary permit from the Board of Medical Examiners (“Board”).

Q: I am a Polysomnographic Technician, how long is my temporary license valid?
A: A polysomnographic technician may provide sleep-related services under the general supervision of a licensed physician for a period of up to one (1) year from the time of the technician’s graduation from an accredited educational program.

Example: If you graduated August 1, 2022, your temporary license would be valid until August 1, 2023.

Q: I am a Polysomnographic Technician, with a temporary license, and did not pass the BRPT’s RPSGT examination. Can I request an extension of my temporary license?
A: Yes. The Tennessee Polysomnographic Standards Committee (“Committee”) and the Board, which
meet only on a semi-monthly basis, recognize that the one-time extension under Tenn. Code Ann. § 63-31-107 exists to give polysomnographic technicians adequate time to successfully complete their certifying examination. Accordingly, the Board grants standing authority to the Medical Consultant to approve a polysomnographic technician’s request for an extension of their temporary permit, provided that the technician submits proof of having taken and failed the BRPT’s RPSGT exam at least once before requesting any such extension. You can visit the Committee’s policy here:

Q: What are the educational requirements of a Polysomnographic Technologist?
A: Graduation from a polysomnographic educational program that is accredited by the Commission on Accreditation of Allied Health Education Programs.

Q: What are the accredited polysomnographic technologist educational programs in Tennessee?
A: Roane State Community College in Harriman, Volunteer State Community College in Gallatin (with a separate course section in West Tennessee) and Concorde College in Memphis.

Two educational programs have closed: East Tennessee State University and Miller-Motte Technical College.

Q: Will an applicant that is applying for a Technologist license from out-of-state after July 1, 2012 and has taken the A-STEP program and passed the BRPT be granted a Tennessee license?
A: No. If the applicant was not practicing polysomnography on or before July 1, 2007 (must submit proof) and is thus eligible for grandfathering, the applicant will be required to attend an accredited polysomnographic technologist educational program before a Tennessee license can be granted.

Q: How do I renew my license?
A: You can renew online or by paper renewal application. To renew online, please visit To renew using the paper renewal application you receive in the mail, please complete the paper renewal application, and return it along with the required renewal fee to the address specified on the renewal notice. If you lose the paper application you received in the mail, you can contact us at 615-532-4384 for a generic renewal notice to be e-mailed to you.

Approximately ninety (90) days in advance of your expiration date, you will receive a paper or electronic renewal notice notifying you of your upcoming expiration. Individuals who are “opted in” to receive electronic notifications from our office will receive the notification at the email address we have on file. Licensees who did not opt in will receive a paper renewal notice.

Q: My license is due to renew, where do I send proof of my continuing education?
A: The Committee is not a records keeper of your continuing education. You will only be requested to send in continuing education proof if you are randomly selected for an audit after renewing your license.

Q: What happens if I failed to meet the required continuing education hours?
A: The Committee may conduct a continuing education audit of any licensee after the licensee renews. Upon receipt of the audit notice, if you fail to provide the required continuing education then the Committee’s administrative office will enforce the Committee’s policy on continuing education:

Q: How many total hours of continuing education am I required to complete each year?
A: You must complete ten (10) hours of continuing education every calendar year (January 1 – December 31).

Q: How do I know whether a particular course is acceptable to the Committee?
A: Continuing education programs that are provided by, or approved for continuing education credit by, one of the following shall be acceptable to the Committee for credit towards the continuing education
hour requirements:

(i) Board of Registered Polysomnographic Technologists
(ii) American Association of Sleep Technologists
(iii) Canadian Sleep Society
(iv) Australasian Sleep Technologists Association
(v) American Academy of Sleep Medicine

Q: How do I request a duplicate of my certificate?
A: You can request a duplicate certificate after logging into your online account here: From a drop down on the main menu, select Request a Duplicate Renewal Certificate or Duplicate Wall Certificate. The Duplicate Renewal Certificate will be a duplicate of the small certificate with your expiration date on it and it is free. The Duplicate Wall Certificate will be a duplicate of the large brown certificate, and costs $25. The certificate(s) will print and be mailed to the mailing address we have on file. We cannot provide an electronic copy of your license.

Q: How do I file a complaint on a polysomnographic technologist?
A: Contact the Bureau of Investigations at 1-800-852-2187; 615-532-3421

Q: I am retiring from the practice of polysomnography. What should I do?
A: You may retire your polysomnography license with the submission of an affidavit of retirement. You may access the affidavit here: There is no fee to retire your license; however, should you seek to reinstate your license at a later date, the Committee may require that you submit evidence that you have maintained your clinical competency.
Application Processing Questions

Q: How can I contact the Committee’s Office?
A: You can reach us by phone at 615-532-4384. All documents being mailed to our office should be sent to: Polysomnography Professional Standards Committee, 665 Mainstream Drive, Nashville, TN 37243.

Q: I allowed my Tennessee polysomnography license to lapse. How do I reactivate my license?
A: If your polysomnography license is currently in “expired status”, you must apply for initial licensure and meet all qualifications.

Q: I voluntarily retired my Tennessee polysomnography license. How do I reactivate my license?
A: You must submit a reinstatement application to seek active licensure again:

If reinstatement is requested prior to the expiration of one (1) year from the date of retirement, then the licensee must pay the past due renewal fee and the late renewal fees. If licensure retirement was in excess of two (2) years, the licensee may be required to successfully complete whatever educational and/or testing requirements the Committee determines is necessary to establish current levels of competency.

Q: How do I check the status of my license application?
A: You may confirm that your application is in progress through our license verification page: If you applied for licensure online, then updates to your application are made available in your online account:

The Board’s administrative staff makes every effort to keep applicants apprised of their application status. This includes an effort to send deficiency letters to applicants every couple of weeks. Frequent calls and emails to our office for license status updates interrupt our administrators’ work processes and reduce the amount of time available to review applications and correspond with applicants regarding application deficiencies.

Q: How do I complete the background check process and what is my OCA number?
A: Follow this link for instructions on how to complete your background check. Your OCA Number is 3202:

Q: May I work while waiting for my license/certificate to be ratified by the Committee?
A: Yes, if you have been issued a license/certificate number you are allowed to commence practice in Tennessee. If your license/certificate is not ratified by the Committee you will be promptly notified to suspend your practice in Tennessee with an explanation for why your license/certificate was not ratified.

Q: Can my application be expedited if I have an employment opportunity pending the approval of my application?
A: No. Applications are reviewed and considered in the order in which they are received. To emphasize this point, the application instructions recommend that you do not make arrangements to accept employment to practice in Tennessee prior to being issued a license number. Requesting documents from outside organizations or others could be done prior to submitting your application which would assist in your file being promptly complete.