Frequently Asked Questions

How do I apply for the Ryan White Program?

Contact an HIV Case Manager to discuss program eligibility requirements and complete a Ryan White Program application. You will need documentation that you live in the Tennessee, documentation of your income, and proof of your HIV status. For a list of Case Managers Locations.

Once I’m accepted into the Ryan White Program, do I ever have to reapply?

Recertification of continuing eligibility for the program is required annually. You will have to recertify through with your case manager.

I have private insurance, can I still apply for the Ryan White Program?

Yes, you may still be eligible for other services. List of Ryan White services.

What are my responsibilities as a Ryan White Program individual?

Ryan White Program individuals are responsible for making sure their case manager are aware of changes in income, address, phone number or other contact information, insurance coverage, or change of medical provider.

How do I change my case manager or medical care site?

To change either site, schedule an appointment with the agency or provider from whom you wish to receive services. You will need to make the new agency or provider aware that you are changing your case manager or medical care.

As a Ryan White Program individual, how do I access medical transportation?

Medical transportation is an important part of getting into care and being able to remain in care. The need for medical transportation is part of the intake assessment conducted with you by your case manager. Your case manager will send a referral to a medical transportation provider or will provide you with bus passes so that you are able to get to your appointments.

Covid-19 related questions?

Please visit

What service category should be used if the housing service is a one-time payment for a utility bill? Is a housing assessment required for this one-time payment?

The housing service category covers transitional, short-term, or emergency housing assistance to enable a individual or family to gain or maintain outpatient/ambulatory health services and treatment that extends beyond a one-time service. If a RWHAP recipient makes a one-time payment for a individual’s utility or housing bill, this should be categorized as emergency financial assistance. A housing assessment and individualized housing plan would not be required for a one-time housing payment provided under emergency financial assistance.

A individual comes in to receive services and it is determined that their housing needs extend beyond a one-time payment. If the individual’s housing needs were previously assessed, would that individual need an additional assessment?

If a RWHAP individual’s housing needs extend beyond a one-time payment, and there is a need for additional housing services, this service should be categorized as housing. Individuals receiving housing services must have their housing  needs assessed annually and an individualized written housing plan developed to determine if there is a need for new or additional housing services.

Can RWHAP funds be used for rental deposits?

No, RWHAP funds may not be used for rental deposits. Because rental deposits are typically returned to individuals as cash, this would violate the prohibition on providing cash payments to individuals. In some instances, deposits may be retained as payment (e.g., damage to the property). As such costs would additionally be unallowable, recipients cannot pay for a rental deposit using federal funds, program income generated from federal funds, or pharmaceutical rebates generated from federal funds.

Is transitional housing an allowable service under the RWHAP?

Yes. Recipients and local decision making planning bodies are strongly encouraged to institute duration limits to provide transitional and emergency housing services. HAB recommends that recipients consider using the U.S. Department of Housing and Urban Development’s definition of transitional housing as 24 months.