Request a Refund of Tax Paid to the Department of Revenue

Taxpayers that have paid taxes in error may submit a request for refund with the Department of Revenue by logging in to Tennessee Taxpayer Access Point (TNTAP) and selecting the Claim for Refund link.

Taxpayers may also request a refund of sales or use tax paid on automobiles or boats through the Tennessee Taxpayer Access Point (TNTAP) by clicking on the non-logon services link.  

All refund requests must be submitted to the Department within three years of December 31 of the year in which the tax was paid. A Report of Debts form must accompany any claim for refund that exceeds $200.

Taxpayers requesting a sales and use tax refund must first refund or credit the tax back to their customer and include documentation of the refund with their claim.

Additional information on refund requests may be found by clicking the following links: Gen-13 - Requesting A Tax Refund and  Important Notice #10-02.

Customer Refund Process

Beginning October 1, 2021, customers may request a refund of sales or use tax paid to a dealer directly from the Department in limited circumstances. Please see Important Notice 21-18 for additional information on this process.

Additional information and paper forms can be accessed here.