Class D License with F (For-Hire Endorsement)

What is a Class D Driver License with For-Hire Endorsement?

If a person’s main job is to drive or transport people or property in a Class D vehicle, a For-Hire endorsement must be added to the Class D license.

The Class D license with a For-Hire endorsement serves as a bridge between the regular driver license required for private transportation and the commercial driver license required for tractor-trailers, large trucks, buses and the like. Examples of persons whose job requires them to have the For-Hire endorsement include: Taxi and shuttle service drivers, couriers, delivery services (flowers, pizza, etc.), and ambulance drivers.

Examples of persons that normally do not need a for-hire endorsement are plumbers, meter readers, and engineers. While they are driving in the course of their business, their main job is not to drive or transport people or property. Volunteers driving Class D vehicles also do not need this endorsement.

PLEASE NOTE: Although you may not be required by law to have the For-Hire endorsement your employer may require you to obtain this endorsement for insurance or safety requirements.


To add the For-Hire endorsement, drivers must meet the eligibility requirements, pass the appropriate tests, and pay a fee of $4.50. Applicants are eligible to apply for this endorsement if:

  • They are at least eighteen (18) years old, or sixteen (16) years of age if the vehicle the applicant is hired to drive is owned by the applicant’s family business to conduct deliveries of goods and products exclusively for the family business
  • Have two (2) years of unrestricted driving experience
  • No challenge exists concerning their good character, competency, and fitness to be so employed
  • They will be operating a Class D Vehicle
  • Required Documents

TESTS REQUIRED: Applicants must pass a vision screening and a knowledge test designed specifically for the For-Hire endorsement. To prepare for the knowledge test, you should carefully study the entire driver handbook.

Where do you go to get your license?