Driving Away from Pumps without Paying for Fuel (T.C.A. 39-14-151) – Restricted Authority (T.C.A. 39-14-151(b))

Tennessee law provides a person suspended for driving away from pumps without paying for fuel may be issued a restricted license for the purpose of driving to and from work and in the course of employment, or to and from a college/university if a full-time student.

The individual making application must not have been convicted of a prior vehicular homicide as the proximate result of intoxication, aggravated vehicular homicide, or vehicular assault. The individual cannot have been involved in an accident in which a person was killed, or suffered serious bodily injury, as the approximate result of the DUI violation.

To Apply for a Restricted Driver License

  • Obtain a certified order from the court where convicted, or court in county of residence, signed by Judge.
  • Obtain SR-22 from liability insurance company showing currently in effect (policy or other document not acceptable).
  • Pay a $65 license fee and $2 application fee.
  • Take the original certified Court Order and a copy to a Driver Services Center within ten (10) days of the date of the Court Order along with any other required documentation.