Rules, Interpretations, and Laws
The Board of Boiler Rules which is attached to the Tennessee Department of Labor and Workforce Development promulgates rules and regulations for the safe operation, proper installation, repair, and use of boilers and pressure vessels. In addition, the board hears matters involving boilers and pressure vessels, interprets rules and provides case opinions. Case and rule interpretations were established to clarify the intent of existing rules or provide alternative requirements. Laws pertaining to boilers and pressure vessels can be found in Tenn. Code. Ann. § 68-122-101, et. seq.
A complete listing of the Board of Boiler Rules have been provided. Rules begin at 0800-03-03-.01 and end at 0800-03-03-.14.
Cases and Interpretations are established to provide consistency in usage, clarification of existing rules, additional case meaning, and explanation of terms and phrases in the Code. Tennessee cases and interpretations are listed below.
TN Rule Cases and Interpretations - Index Cover
- TN Rule Cases and Interpretations
- Submission Letter
- Boiler Board Rule Cases & Interpretations 2007 Forward
- Routine Repairs in TN Extension
- Board Interpretation - BI 19-01
- Board Interpretation - BI 19-02
- Board Case - BC 21-02
- E-stop Interpretation Request - LP Boilers - BI 21-02
- Case: BC 22-02 Power Boiler External Inspection Frequency Requirements
- Case: BC 22-03 Boiler Attendant Requirements 0800-03-03-.08(11)(a)
- BI 22-01 Walkways, Runways and Platforms
- Interpretation: BI 22-03 Internal Inspection for Low Pressure Heating Boilers
- BI 22-02 Automatic Bottom Blowoff
- Case: BC 22-04 Clearance Requirements for Wall or Rack Mounted Tankless Water Heaters
- Case: BC 22-01 Testing Laboratories for Electric Heated Boilers
Laws associated with boilers and pressure vessels are available on LexisNexis. The law begins at Tenn. Ann. Code § 68-122-101 and includes health, safety and environmental protection guidelines.
Acting Chief Boiler Inspector